Our Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP) can help you with your energy needs in two ways: the Energy Assistance/Primary Heating (EA) program and the Energy Crisis Intervention Program (ECIP): EA helps you with a one-time payment for your primary heating bill, while the ECIP helps pay your fuel bill when your energy is shut off or is threatened to be shut off. The amount of help you receive is based on the amount of money needed to settle your crisis with the energy provider.
Winter EA/ECIP is available October through May, based on funding; the maximum amount you could receive is $800. (Seniors and those on disability can apply starting Sept. 1)
Summer EA/ECIP is available June through September, based on funding; the maximum amount you could receive is $300.
- You must be a Jackson, Platte, or Clay County, Missouri resident.
- You must be responsible for paying home heating and cooling costs. If your utilities are in “disconnect” status, please provide a copy of your shut off notice.
- You must be a United States citizen or be legally admitted for permanent residence.
- You must have $3,000 or less in bank accounts, retirement accounts, or investments.
- You must show proof of income for everyone 18 years and older unless the member is included in an active food stamp case. You can show proof of income by providing copies of your award letters for SSA, SSI, Disability, Pension, check stub, unemployment letter, etc. If you have no household income, be sure to provide a Zero Income Form.
- Your household income may not exceed 135% of the federal poverty guidelines, which vary according to household size and fuel type ($33,210 annual income for a family of four).
- Before you submit your completed LIHEAP Application for 2017 season (below), be sure you have answered all the questions completely, included copies of all the required documents, and have signed and dated the application. You can mail the application in or just bring it to one of our offices. Please remember, failure to provide all the required documentation may result in processing and payment delays.
Please let your LIHEAP Specialist know if you are in need of any of the following items or services: blankets, emergency lodging, furnace or central air conditioning replacement or repair, or even a window air conditioning unit. We may be able to provide you what you need at no charge.
Download and complete the PDF application below to apply for services.